By: Karen Carrera, TrizCom PR
The University of Oklahoma and the national Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity get kudos for their handling the horrific video of hateful racial slurs made on a party bus of immature frat boys and their dates.
It’s unimaginable that in 2015 these kids think that the song is OK. Well it’s not. The university and national chapter should be proud of the way they handled the initial stage of the crisis by sending a swift, severe zero tolerance message:
- Your behavior is not acceptable.
- We are closing your doors.
- We are launching an investigation.
In addition to a strong, proactive message, other lessons learned include:
- Respond channel to channel during a crisis. The video was originally brought to light on social media channels. The university president responded on Twitter in less than an hour.
- Time is of the essence. Monitor your social channels – people expect a reply in 60 minutes, some studies show.
- Cameras are everywhere. Expect horrid behavior to be captured on someone’s smart phone and shared over social. It’s going to happen.
- If you act a certain way, people are going to talk about you. Any organization – corporate or non-profit – should use this video as a learning tool. There should be policies in place, people should be educated on what’s expected, and immediate consequences should be in place.
About TrizCom Public Relations
From national industry leaders and Dallas-Fort Worth’s largest companies to startups and growing enterprises, TrizCom PR provides public relations and social media services to a wide variety of businesses encompassing startup, healthcare, lifestyle brands, B2B, energy, tech, entertainment, food/beverage and beyond. TrizCom PR has a dynamic track record of local, regional, national and international media placements on behalf of its clients that, if monetized, would equal hundreds of millions of dollars. In 2014 and 2015, TrizCom PR has been named in the top 25 of PR Firms by Dallas Business Journal. TrizCom PR is a Certified Woman Owned Business Corporation (NWBOC). For more information on TrizCom PR call 972-247-1369 or visit www.TrizCom.com.
Karen’s contact information: